Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kids


I don't know wether to be amused or depressed. I think I'm a little of both right now. My family from Costa Rica are visiting California so we're having them over at my house today to celebrate my grandmother's birthday. Just moments ago my cousins and I went to the super market to pick up some ice. We also ended up having to get eggs, milk, drinks, and a few other things that my Mom had forgotten about.
My cousins got bored and started goofing around throughout the store so I went to pay for all of my groceries and ended up having a convesation with the cashier, he was a few years older than me and it was his first day on the job. After a few minutes of talking the line behind me started growing so he started ringing up my items. He was having trouble with the scanner and was taking longer than usual. All of a sudden the woman behind me, who was in her mid-thirties or so, sighed impatiently.
I turned around and gave her a small smile before turning back to the cashier who was trying to get the computer to stop angrily beeping at him. A moment later, the beeping stopped and the woman sighed again, when I turned to her she had a hand on her hip and was tapping her foot. I smiled apologetically, "I'm so sorry that i'm holding up the line, you must want to get home."
She rolled her eyes and then checked her watch before saying, "Yes, I do."
I looked over into her cart, she had a People magazine and two cartons of milk, which raised the question, why didn't she just go into the express lane?
I shrugged and then tried to help the new guy figure out how to work the computer, seeing as all of his older, more experienced co-workers were busy. That's when the lady turned to me and said, "You know what? I've got better things to do today than stand behind some brat and you," she pointed to the blushing cashier, "you need to hurry the hell up, I mean really? Stop flirting and push the damn button that gives her the reciet!"
The cahsier looked dumbfounded so I stepped in. In a very polite tone I told her, "Excuse me, I understand that you're annoyed and you must be tired of standing in line but you don't have to be rude. He's new on the job and will be finished soon."
That really set her off. She graberd her magazine and the milk from out of her cart and pushed past me to go into a different lane. Then she sharply turned around and nearly spat out her words, "Fuck you! My children are going to be smarter than you, more successful, and they are going to live longer! Both of you are going to amount to nothing, you'll be worthless scum for the rest of your life."
Security was called and I kid you not, she slapped the guard as he tried to help her outside.
Now that i think of it, I'm more amused after all.
Wow, what a day.

2 comments:

Waverly Smithers and the Silencer said...

wow..... that is so funny!!!! but i cant believe youve kept your cool trough all of that. I would have been yelling.

Anonymous said...

You never told us this story!! Ohmygosh I agree with Abby I would've been screaming insults back at her from the top of my lungs. Poor guy I hope he had a good rest of the day. Lucky you were the customer =)and not that lady when that happened.
(kumquat)